For Mothers of Infants
Select a material from the pull-down below.
Click above image to view 8.5" x 11" PDF
THTM #8: Ultrasound
What is the key message?
- There are many ways to be a great mom.
- Recognize and celebrate what you are doing right.
- Know that you make a difference in your child’s life every day.
- Your actions are powerful and important.
Who should receive this message?
- Any parent.
- Parents lacking confidence in their abilities.
- Parents facing considerable challenges or lacking a support system.
- Parents without positive parenting role models.
How can this message be used?
- Ask: What makes someone a great mom? That’s an age-old question that every mother struggles with.
Idea for a group:
- A researcher recently did over 1,000 interviews to find out what moms thought about what makes a great mom. But before I reveal their “top ten list”, let’s make our own top ten list of what makes a great mom. (Record responses on a flip chart, board or paper.)
- Reveal the Top 10 Characteristics of “Great Moms” gathered from the interviews:
- No matter what else is going on in her life, family comes first.
- A great mom has achieved the right balance in her work time, family time and time to herself.
- Puts her own needs on hold for her children.
- Keeps a close eye on her kids’ friends.
- Puts limits on time her kids can spend with video games and/or the Internet.
- Her kids are her whole world.
- Family eats dinner together every night.
- Teaches her kids as early as possible to be independent.
- Puts limits on time kids can watch TV.
- Arranges her schedule around her children’s school events.
Ask: How does this compare with our top ten list? Which responses do you agree with? Disagree?
- How do you feel about your successes as a mom so far?
- What challenges have your overcome?
- What makes you feel like a great mom? Can you tell me about a recent experience when you really felt proud of yourself as a parent?
- Without exception, every parent strives to love and protect their child.
- People are rewarded with raises at work and grades at school. Who recognizes and rewards parents? How are they recognized?
- How can being recognized as a great mother encourage you to keep going when times are tough? What can you do to give yourself praise?
- Recognition is something we all need. Take time to feel good about everything you are doing as a great parent for your child.
- What will you do this week to reward yourself for a job well done?