Select a material from the pull-down below.
Click above image to view 8.5" x 11" PDF
THTM #33: Morning time (Breakfast recipes)
What is the key message?
- “Investment” cooking—making larger amounts of core foods and dividing them into multiple meals-- makes serving healthy foods easier.
- Parents who prepare healthy meals for their children feel good about their offering their children the best.
Who should receive this message?
- Any parents or caregiver, especially those who say they don’t have the time or energy to cook.
How can this message be used?
- How do you decide what you and your family will have for dinner?
- What is it like in your home as you get ready for dinner?
Idea for a group:
Anyone read “Dear Abby?” (“Dear Abby” is a daily column where a wise woman—Abby—answers readers’ questions.)
Suppose you were hired to be the guest write for “Dear Abby” and you received this letter:
I have the world’s best child. I want to be the world’s best mother. My problem is finding time to make breakfast. I know healthy foods like fruits, bread, milk and yogurt are best for us. But, first thing in the morning, the fast food drive through is my best friend. I want to feel good about what I serve, not guilty. Help! How can I offer a healthy breakfast to get us started right in the morning?
Signed, Lost in Fast-Foodville
- What advice do you have for this busy mother?
- When you think about preparing breakfast, what are the pros? What are the cons?
- Does it really make a difference if parents prepare and serve breakfast to their children? How? At a young age, can children really know the difference?
- What would make it easier for you to prepare breaksfast at home?
- How do you feel when you and your children have finished a fast food breakfast of a sausage and egg sandwich with hashbrowns?
- How do mothers who prepare healthy breaksfast for their children feel?
- Which of these recipes do you think you’d like to try this week?
- What will you do this week to make meal preparation a little easier for you and your family?