Select a material from the pull-down below.
Click above image to view 8.5" x 11" PDF
THTM #27: Sensible weight-loss (Weight management)
What is the key message?
- There are simple things you can do to lose the extra pounds.
- Following a healthy plan for weight loss can set a good example for young children and affect their eating and activity patterns as they grow older.
Who should receive this message?
- Any parent struggling with weight loss for themselves or their child.
How can this message be used?
- Imagine that one year has passed. You are sitting on exactly the same chair as today, but you are ten pounds lighter. How would you feel about this?
- What if I told you that it was possible to drop ten pounds in a year without making major changes?
- Do you think it is possible to lose ten pounds in a year without a lot of effort?
- What have been some of your successes and/or challenges with weight loss?
- (Offer handout to each participant.) Please take a look at all the ways to cut 100 calories each day. Could you see yourself cutting calories in these ways?
- Any guesses on how many pounds you would lose in a year just by cutting 100 calories a day? (The average person would lose about 10 pounds a year by cutting 100 calories a day.)
- Suppose the year flew by and you were sitting in the same exact chair as today, but were 20 pounds lighter. How would you feel about that?
- You can lose weight by being more active AND by eating less. The column on the right has ways to cut 100 calories. The column to the left has ways to burn more calories. By cutting food calories and burning more calories through increased activity, you can drop 20 pounds in a year. Do you think this is possible?
- Can you imagine you and your child doing the activities listed in the first column together? If done together, how would you child benefit while you’re burning calories?
- We all know that carrying extra weight can slow us down. But how does carrying extra weight impact how we feel about ourselves? Sample responses:
- Negative self image
- Low energy
- Hurtful self talk
- Low self worth
- Low confidence
- Fear of what others say about us
- Feel less important or successful than others at normal weight
- How would your children’s lives be different if you felt better about yourself and your weight?
- How will you feel when you achieve success?
- What will you do this week to burn calories, strengthen your family bond and help your child develop a love of being active?
- What words can you say to yourself each day to urge yourself to action?