Select a material from the pull-down below.
Click above image to view 8.5" x 11" PDF
THTM #26: Greatest show on earth (Role modeling)
What is the key message?
- Embrace the joys of parenting.
- Children need and want to be with their parents.
- Parents are role models for their children.
- Being active together is a great way to spend more time with your children.
Who should receive this message?
- Any parents and caregivers.
How can this message be used?
- Suppose a pregnant woman asked you for advice on raising children. What advice would you share with her? (Allow time for reflection and sharing.)
- (Offer handout to each participant.) Everyday, children are watching their parents, hoping to be exactly like them. It is humbling and amazing to realize the power parents have to create or redefine another human being for all time. “To your child, you are the greatest show on earth.” How does knowing that you are the center of your child’s universe make you feel?”
- What positive habits do you hope your children will learn from you?
- How important do you feel it is for your child to learn the joy of being active?
- What special gifts related to eating or activity would you like to give your child?
- How can parents moderate TV time to leave more time for having fun as a family?
- Parents tell me that family activities that appear simple and common—like taking a walk together or eating as a family—have important emotional and health benefits. What emotional benefits do children get from being active as a family? What emotional benefits do children get from eating together as a family?
- How would your child’s life be better if she learned to love being active? How would your child’s life be different if he developed a life-long love of fruits and vegetables?
- How would you feel as a parent if your child grew up to be an active, fit, healthy and happy adult because of what you did today?
- What will you do this week to be the greatest show on earth for your child?
- What will you do this week to help your child feel that you are the center stage in your child’s life?