Select a material from the pull-down below.
Click above image to view 8.5" x 11" PDF
THTM #25: Seesaw (Healthy childhood weight)
What is the key message?
- Active play helps children keep fit.
- Parents help children develop a love for active play.
Who should receive this message?
- Any parent.
- Parents concerned about their child’s weight.
How can this message be used?
- Parents constantly struggle to provide what their children need. What do you think are the key things children need in order to be happy and healthy throughout life?
- What do you do to spend time with your child? How do you think spending time together benefits your child?
- You don’t have to spend much time with toddlers to know they are often born with a love of being active. Why do some children become less active as they get older? Sample responses:
- Limited space for active play.
- Unsafe neighborhoods for children to play outside.
- Elimination of playground time at child care centers and schools.
- Parents are too busy to take children to parks and open play areas.
- Television and computers that occupy children so parents can get work done.
- Why is being active so important for children?
- Parents instinctively know to love their child and make them feel secure, valuable and trusting. And they likely know what foods grow healthy children. But what can parents do to help their children develop a love of being active? Sample responses:
- Be active with them.
- Make wonderful memories of being active together so activity is associated with positive memories.
- Be a good role model.
- Let them know that you crave the great feeling that comes with being active.
- Establish family traditions around activity like a nightly walk around the block.
- Take daily walks after dinner where families share values and dreams.
- Take children to parks and areas where they can run.
- What kinds of physical activities do you do with your children?
- How will your child’s life be better if he has a love of being active and it continues throughout his life?
- How will your life be better if you have a love of being active and it continues throughout your life?
- How will you feel when you and your child can enjoy being active together?
- What will you and your child do this week to be active together?
- If the weather or a busy schedule gets in your way of being active with your child this week, what will you do?