Select a material from the pull-down below.
Click above image to view 8.5" x 11" PDF
THTM #24: Baby diaper (Educating grandparents)
What is the key message?
- Times have changed. What were considered “best practices” in parenting have changed.
- Parents may need to assert their role as the decision-maker for their children.
Who should receive this message?
- Parents struggling with grandparents or relatives telling them how to provide care to their child that is inconsistent with current practices or parental wishes.
How can this message be used?
How has your relationship with your parents or other family members been since you’ve become a parent?
- What gifts do grandparents and other older family members give us?
- What parenting advice have you received? What have you done with that advice?
- What has worked for you in the past when talking with grandparents who insist on practices that aren’t consistent with best practices today or your wishes?
- (Offer handout to participants.) How could you use this quiz with your grandparents to resolve conflict over how to care for your baby and children?
- Respect for grandparents is important. How do you balance well-meaning advice from grandparents that isn’t consistent with “best practices” of caring parents today with your need to protect your child from potential harm?
- How does it feel to know that you are the most important person in making decisions for your child?
- How will making decisions based on what YOU feel is best impact your child’s future?
- What will you do differently with in your next conversation with grandparents over how to care for your baby or children?
- How will you set boundaries this week with well-meaning grandparents so that your children are as healthy as they could be?
- What advice would you give a parent dealing with a grandparent or caregiver who thinks they know best?